Tuesday 10 November 2009

"Total Resection"

No, it's not an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, it's the best thing you can hear when you are a brain tumour patient. It means that the tumour has been banished. It's all gone. Adios amigo. And don't come back!

Professor Poon took me through the scans and told me that there's no trace left. There's still some blood in my brain from the surgery wound but there is a lot less than there was when I had my last scan, which means it is slowly being reabsorbed.

The only evidence that I've ever had surgery is a "cystic tract" - the remnants of having a plastic tube shoved through my brain. And of course the scar on my scalp. And my ugly hair.

I also have a slightly lopsided brain now....



The big hole on the left is where the tumour was. It should look like the one on the right, but when you have a big lump growing in your head, something's gotta give. Professor Poon told me that it's nothing to worry about - it should have no functional impact.

I also finished my course of seizure meds last week, so am starting to feel a bit more alert (no excuses at work any more, unfortunately).

All that remains now is my psychological assessment in a few months time (I feel pretty normal so not expecting any surprises) and a precautionary MRI scan once a year to make sure the thing isn't trying to grow back.

So, for the forseeable future, no radiotherapy, no more surgery, no more hospitals (except for checkups) and no more head shaving!! I'm so happy!

I'm cracking open a can of Coke Zero now to celebrate :)


No comments:

Post a Comment