Monday 31 August 2009

Seven Days of Pain

The week immediately following surgery was probably the toughest period I had in this whole treatment. I basically spent the entire week alternating between debilitating headaches and throwing up, often both together. The headaches were caused by the presence of blood in the brain and in my spinal fluid. The blood was just a by-product of the surgery and would go with time, but until then, it caused me untold pain. Of all of the pains I felt in hospital, the headaches were the worst, because when they came I couldn’t do anything else. I couldn’t think, I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t function at all. I could do was just lie there sweating and waiting for the painkillers to kick in.

And there was my next dilemma. I was given Panadol for the headaches, and it actually worked well 90% of the time. But sometimes a particularly strong headache would hit, that Panadol couldn’t shift. I was then given an option to take another, stronger painkiller called Tramadol. But the downside was that Tramadol would make me physically sick. So every day I was faced with the lovely choice of splitting headaches or throwing up.

Thankfully the headaches began to ease up naturally after around a week. Just as well because I don’t think I could have taken much more of it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tak,
    All the news I've been hearing via the HK family each day didn't convey the incredibly tough time you went through during the first post-op week. I guess you kept that pretty much to yourself.
    So glad that you are through that stage now and so proud of you for the way you have and continue to manage yourself, feeding off all the positive aspects and learning from the sad and negative ones.
    I know you are getting better now because you are up to naughty tricks, slipping off to the cinema and going shopping without letting anyone know......good on you!
    Speak to you soon. Love Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tak

    Heard the news and read up what has been happening. Been a long long time since we last spoke - but regardless - i hope all is well and you sound like you are on the road to recovery.

    Chin up old chap :)

    Peter Cheung

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tak,

    Completely made up that everything has gone so well to date. Everything I would say is just so completely ridiculous against what you've been through. So in order not to make that mistake

    Man united are rubbish and will go down this season. Chelsea will win everything and we don't care about signing new players. England will win the world cup even though Rooney will get sent off in the final.

    If this sounds silly imagine what I could have written.

    Can you send me your address when you get five mins I've got a hat to send you (duncandaines@gmail.com).

    The family Daines are all wishing you a swift recovery. Love ya man. duncan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delighted to see Duncan thinks so little of Man Utd ...just a shame he thinks so highly of Chelsea.

    Delighted to hear you are doing so well. The first week sounded horrendous, hope it's getting easier now and that you'll be able to enjoy your PS3 again soon...if not already!

    Cheers
    Ted

    ReplyDelete