Friday 18 September 2009

Updates and Parents.

Some people have been asking me why I haven't updated my blog for a while. This is actually a good thing for 2 reasons:

  1. Now I know that people are actually reading my blog (well, at least three of you anyway).
  2. My 'inactivity' is because there's not huge amount to update and, as the saying goes, "No news is good news".

Well that's not entirely true, I do have a few updates, but there have been no dramas to speak of. Generally speaking everything has been progressing steadily. I haven't had one of 'those' headaches for nearly 3 weeks now, the nausea/vomiting hasn't returned either and, critically, I haven't had an epileptic seizure yet (touch wood).

Oh, and my hair is growing back =)

I’m also making some progress with my left-side co-ordination. My typing is slowly coming back to me and I'm no longer wobbling like a drunkard every time I step on an escalator. I do still face staircases with a tiny bit of trepidation, especially when walking down, but even this has improved in the last couple of weeks.

I went to see Professor Poon for a follow-up yesterday and he’s also happy with my progress. As it stands, I won't need to go back to the hospital again until October (for my next MRI scan). So for now, it's just a case of resting up and trying to get my physical fitness back.

I've just started going back to the gym (very gently - I promised the doc) and I can't tell you how great it feels. There’s nothing worse than being laid up in bed for weeks on end. I’m REALLY happy that that part is over and done with.


"Mum & dad, I'm really sorry".

As some of you know, I decided to not tell my parents in the UK about this whole saga, so they haven't had a clue that I've even been sick. The main reason is that I didn't want them to worry about it. They're pretty old and frail and I knew for sure that this would have totally stressed them out, which in turn would have stressed me out - and that's not a good way to be when you're about to go in for brain surgery.

But yesterday I finally broke my silence. I spilled the beans and told them everything. As expected (and, I guess, deserved) I copped an earful from my mum, but by the end of the (looong) phone call, I had just about talked her down from the ceiling.

The fact that they'd been through this whole thing once before with my big sister years ago, helped because they understood. They understood the nature of the problem and they understood that, the fact that I've emerged pretty much unscathed, is something to be very grateful for.

So mum and dad, although I know that you won't be reading this (because you don't have a computer and your English isn't very good) I'm really sorry for keeping this secret from you and I love you both very much =)


No comments:

Post a Comment